Photo Credit: Kerry Bannen
Raleigh Junior Rollers (RJR) is a 501c3 designated nonprofit junior flat track derby program. We are gender-inclusive for kids aged 8-17. Our mission is to nurture self-confidence in young people by developing teamwork and athletic ability while treasuring individuality within a culture of encouragement and service to others.
RJR is a member league of the Junior Roller Derby Association (JRDA). We use the Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby - JRDA Edition rules set and addenda.
Safety is the #1 priority for all members of RJR. It is our responsibility to ensure that young skaters practice and compete in safe environments that include:
- A secure facility where trainers are within constant eye contact with their skaters.
- Permission to render care with access to emergency medical care.
- Coaches are first aid and CDC Heads Up concussion trained.
- Parent and emergency contact numbers.
- Knowledge of adults authorized to provide transportation.
- Training that does not create unreasonable risk to health and bodily injury.
- Training that respects individual skill development rates and does not impose unreasonable expectations.
- playing fair
- following the rules of the game
- respecting the judgment of referees and officials
- treating opponents with respect
It’s pretty simple. Everyone gets to play. Once a skater is on a team they will play regardless of the final outcome of the bout (unless a skater is removed from the lineup due to injury or poor behavior). RJR's goal is to help youth develop all-around skills that will prepare them for the future. We care about winning; we just care more about teaching.